Monday, June 16, 2008

Just popping in...

Whew! I'm back!!! This mama thing is hard work! ;) Johnathan is an absolute blessing to Matt and me. We love him so much, and we are so thankful to have him here! Thank ALL of you for your prayers and notes of concern. We are blessed to have a "blog" family who cares for us. I'll go ahead and share some birthing details, and I'll try to post a picture or two later tonight. :) Here's the birth story (for those of you who love birth stories as much as I do!):

I went in for my regular doctor's appointment on a Tuesday. I didn't feel different, but the nurse checked my blood pressure and it was high. I was only about one cm. dilated, but they were worried that I was developing preeclampsia. My doctor sent Matt and I straight to the hospital. Once we checked in, my blood pressure rose even higher. They started me on magnesium to lower it, and then they discovered that I was actually going into labor on my own! I stayed in the hospital overnight with no major labor pains. I was having contractions (we could see them on the monitor), but I couldn't feel them at that point.

Wednesday morning, my doctor decided to speed up my labor, because my blood pressure was still really elevated. I was given pitocin and my doctor broke my water. He attached a monitor to Johnathan's head. The contractions intensified, and they hurt. :)

Just after lunch, my doctor checked me. I hadn't dilated anymore, and the baby was, in his words, "sky-high." My blood pressure was dangerously high; the preeclampsia had suddenly developed and it was awful. My doctor opted for a c-section.

Johnathan was born at 12:47. It was such a miracle to see him for the first time! I experienced emotions I had never felt before! He was a BIG baby for his age--7 lbs., 7 oz.--and he was a month early! Of course, he was just the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. ;)

Now, everything is great! We stayed with my mom for a little over a week (the c-section recovery was very tough), and now we're home as a family. Johnathan has completely changed our lives--for the better, of course! I can't even begin to describe it, but I'm sure you'll hear all about it over the next several months... :)

3 comments:

Tracy said...

So sorry about the c-section, but what a prize, huh? Can't wait for the pictures!

~~Deby said...

oh Jordin...I am so happy for you and Matt and enjoyed hearing your story...I have been watching for you to continue blogging...could hardly wait..hehehe !!!
I bet your mom is enjoying being a grandparent...
Deby

sherry said...

ooohhh can you feel me hugging you?!

A sudden toxic pregnancy is *not* a walk in the park. Thank God you had a doctor who was 'with it' and recognized the beginnings of a real danger. So thankful!

toxic preg - check
c section - check
ouchie recovery - check
hospital bill - yikes check
precious baby - priceless

:o) hugging you again.